Streak of Cool Weeks About To End04/22/2018, 3:37 pm EST
Tracking The Global Sea Surface Temperature Anomaly “Warm Blobs”04/30/2018, 10:25 am EST
Tracking the global warm/cool blobs…
- The 2017-18 warm blob (area of warmer than normal ocean surface) in the southeast North Pacific.
- Reflection on the atmosphere?
- Upper ridge pattern is observed in past 6 months across Southwest U.S. analysis (below).
- Has caused Southwest U.S. drought.
- Concern? Ridge amplifies causing extreme heat Southwest U.S. by early summer.
- If so, where does the heat migrate as mid-to-late summer arrives?
Pictured: The 500 MB anomalies the past 6 months indicate an upper ridge pattern over the Southwest U.S. correlated with the warm SSTA pattern in the southeast North Pacific.